ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR MAY
MONDAY, MAY 2ND
FEAST DAY OF ST. ATHANASIUS
SUMMER UNIFORM STARTS
(CHECK HANDBOOK ON SCHOOL WEBSITE)
THURSDAY, MAY 5TH
ASCENSION THURSDAY - SCHOOL OPEN
9 A.M. LITURGY
FRIDAY, MAY 6TH
6:30 P.M. - MOTHER/SON & FATHER/DAUGHTER DANCE
SUNDAY, MAY 8TH
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
WEDNESDAY, MAY 11TH
8TH GRADE TRIP
THURSDAY, MAY 12TH
8:30 A.M. - SCHOOL UNIFORM MEASUREMENTS
FRIDAY, MAY 13TH
12 NOON DISMISSAL
FRIDAY, MAY 20TH
6:30 P.M. - TALENT SHOW
MONDAY, MAY 23RD
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY FOR TEACHERS
TUESDAY, MAY 24TH
LIVING ROSARY & MAY CROWNING
7 P.M. - HOME SCHOOL MEETING
THURSDAY, MAY 26TH
4TH GRADE SCIENCE PERFORMANCE TEST
MONDAY, MAY 30TH
CHANGES TO THE 2016 GRADE 3-8 ASSESSMENTS:
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW
Every spring, the Grade 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Tests are administered to students across the New York State. Below you will find information on the changes that the State Educatiion Department has made to these tests for 2016.
Decreased Number of Test Questions
The 2016 Grade 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) Tests will have one less reading passage and fewer questions to answer. The 2016 Grade 3-8 Mathematics Test will also have fewer questions.
The 2016 Grade 3-8 ELA and Mathematics Tests will be untimed., This change gives students more opportunity to demonstrate what they know and can do by allowing them to work at their own pace. In general, this means that as long as students are productively working, they will have as much time as they need to finish their tests.
Greater Teacher Involvement
The State Education Department has increased the number of New York State teachers involved in creating and reviewing the assessments and will expand the opportunities for teachers tobe involved in future test development.
- Teachers from across the State gathered in Albany in October 2015 to evaluate and select questions for the 2016 tests.
- Beginning in fall 2015 and going forward, a greater number of New York Stae teachers have been--and will continue to be--involved in the review of all test questions and final test forms.
- For the first time ever, New York State teachers will write the test questions for the Grade 3-8 ELA and Mathematics tests. These questions will be used on the 2018 tests.
New Test Vendor
Last summer, Questar Assessment Inc. was awarded the State's Grade 3-8 ELA and Mathematics assessment contract. Questar Assessment Inc. has partnered with the Department on the changes described above and on other changes to the Grade 3-8 ELA and Mathematics tests.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTRATION, CLICK THE LINK BELOW
St. Athanasius School is a Pre-K site. What does that mean to you? It means that your child can attend Pre-Kindergarten free of charge. We only have room for 60 children, so please apply beginning January 25th until March 4, 2016.
Families can apply to pre-k from January 25th through March 4th. There are three ways for families to complete the pre-k application:
- Online at www.nyc.gov/prek. You will need to create an account and be sure to choose St. Athanasius School (site ID is KAJE), as your first choice on the application. If you are one of our students already, let them know and you will get first priority.
- Over the phone by calling 718-935-2067.
- In person, at a Family Welcome Center. Find the one nearest you on this website: http://schools.nyc.gov/choicesenrollment/newstudents/welcomecenters/default.htm
The online application is available in English and nine other languages. Interpretation services will be available in over 200 languages for aplications submitted over the phone and in person.
Simple Steps to Keep Children Healthy at Home, School and Daycare KYCH Handwashing Handout_09-19-2014.pdf
Online Giving Has Never Been Easier!
Online donations are simple, quick and easy. Please click HERE if you would like to give a donation to our school.
Come visit our beautiful school!